One windy afternoon


One windy afternoon at Sakuragicho Station in Yokohama, the clouds started to pour when, amidst the hustle and bustle of people going on and off the trains, 2 lovely ladies approaching a young mother strolling her baby aimlessly around to comfort him from crying.

Tess: Hello there! How are you? Are you waiting for someone? *smiling eyes*
N: Oh hello *startled* yes I'm waiting for my friend. I'm very good, thank you.
Maria: Is this your son? Look at him, so cute! How old is he?
N: Yeah, he's 9 months old. Thank you! Er how can I help you?
Maria: Ah well, we're from Philipines, and we would love to share something with you. Here's a magazine, you can read it whenever later.
N: Ah ok (looks at the title: Awake) so what is this magazine about?
Tess: Do you notice that the world is full of violence? That people suffer everywhere?
N: Yes..
Tess: Do you know why?
N: Well because people don't put the right things at the right places? For example the poor should be fed, but they're not etc. (while looking at the magazine cover the picture of an old woman starving on the street)
Maria: You're right! So there's no love anymore in this world do you agree?
N: Yes but it's not like there's zero love. It's just that this world is lacking love. And you see love is not really "everything".
Maria: What do you mean love is not everything?
N: I mean, love doesn't come alone. It comes with a big package.. And it's not only love that is lacking now, in fact most people today make their lusts the next god. Especially the youngsters. Its the era of modernism and consumerism (whatever that means la kan :p) These are causing the world's problem. And you know how lusts are actually coming from the devil..
Tess: Devils' whispers! You're very smart.
N: That's what my religion taught me..
Maria: Do you believe in Judgment Day?
N: Yes, I do. Oh, do you believe it too?
Maria: Yes yes. You know after we all die, we will be resurrected and live happily ever after, no devil, no lust, just love?
N: You mean no heaven and hell? What about the good and bad people? Where do they go?
Tess: Well, hell is only for devils. And heaven, there are only some of us going to it.
N: Oh ok, are you going to be one of them?
Tess: No, I'm not. There are only 144,000 people going to heaven.
N: Oh haha, that specific figure? How do you know you're not one of them? You could be the lucky one..
Maria: Yes, look at this chapter (brings out her old shabby all bookmarked bible) it says Jehovah only brings 144,000 people with him to go to heaven.
N: Then what would happen to the rest of you?
Tess: Ehem. US. What happens to the rest of US is we're going to be resurrected and live again in this world with love. All happy, no devil. Devils are sent to hell already.
N: Err not me. Because from what I believe, after the judgment day, we only have 2 destinations. The good people go to heaven and the bad ones go to hell. And the life in this world, we know its only temporary so that's why we strive to gain the blessings of our God, Allah, so that He would be pleased with us and make us one of the heaven members.
Tess: Wow I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing. You're a what, what do you believe in?
N: You're welcome. Glad that I could share with you. My religion is Islam, so that makes me a Muslim. And you see Islam is not just a religion, it's in fact a way of life. So everything I do revolves around whether Allah would be pleased with me or not..
Tess: Beautiful.
N: About the things that you said just now, how do you know that you're not among the 144,000 people that are going to heaven?
Maria: Hmm the 144,000 people are only from the ancient times.
N: Oh ok, are you okay with that? Then what are you going to do in this world after the resurrection?
Tess: Just the normal lives we are living now, go to work, be back home. Live happily ever after.
N: Until when? You're working now in this world and you're still gonna work after being resurrected? Aren't you bored to work forever?
Tess: Uh well I can change my job if I get bored..
N: Haha, ok. What's your god's name again?
Tess: It's Jehovah.
N: I thought Christians believe in trinity and there is the god father, the god son and the holy spirit..? Where is Jehovah in the picture?
Maria: No, no. That's Catholic. We're the Jehovah's Witness. We don't believe in the trinity concept.
N: But are you a Christian? Or Jehovah's Witness is just another religion?
Maria: We're still Christians. We used to be Catholics but we just converted to Jehovah's Witness.
N: I see. But do you read the same bible as the Catholics?
Maria: Yes, this bible is for all!
N: But how can you read the same book but believe in a different god?
Tess & Maria discuss something in Philipines.
Tess: Well, the Catholics take the literal meanings of the bible, while we look beyond the meaning.
N: (ok whatever that means) Oh ok. So you're saying your god is Jehovah. Who is he? Can you see him?
Maria: He's the creator of everything. I cannot see him. But he's always in our heart.
Tess: What about you, can you see your God?
N: I cannot see Him right now but when I'm in heaven later I get to meet Him. That's why I have to strive in doing good things in this world, so that I can go to heaven and meet my Creator :)
Tess: I see! That's nice.
Maria: Btw if you have further questions you can always go to this address (shows the URL of Jehovah's Witness)
Tess: Nice meeting you! And thanks again for sharing! :)
N: No problem! Glad I could share. And it's nice to have this conversation with you too :)
Tess: I don't get your name yet. What's your name?
N: You can call me N. and you?
Tess: I'm Tess
Maria: I'm Maria
N: Great, have a nice day!

The rain started to pour harder this time and the wind blew harsher that umbrellas are no longer useful.

I guess at the end of the conversation, the mother felt a little regret by how much more that she could've shared and asked.

This story might not be true, or might be true. Either way, the lesson that we can learn is that if the Jehovah's Witnesses can just go to any stranger preaching about their beliefs, Muslims should be ahead of them already.

In Korea, there are also many of them holding Korean classes for English speakers for free (teach & preach) while some bravely show up on people's doorsteps to preach for several minutes. Usaha yg baik kan?

Comments

Ojah said…
bagussssnyeeee awak...kita dorang approach ckp pappayo(i am busy) ceh x bagus langsung.
Naaiemah said…
Wan, eh you mean the mother ke. Maybe she had nothing to do other than just layan je the ladies haha

Ojah, eh next time derang approach awak la plak yg bg ceramah haha derang tu confuse je sebenanye