On $$

I bought a book on financial management (financial whaa? It was prolly something I wouldn't buy when I was younger) earlier 2016. It was a simple book guiding where should your money go and how to manage it with style. The language used rolled right with my tongue and there was nothing too complicated to understand. Maybe it was too late for me because I no longer had monthly paychecks to invest anywhere. But I still find it very useful nevertheless especially on daily spendings and expenditure.

Got 20% rebate from Popular.

As I read along, the book slowly shattered a perception I once had. It was actually the beginning of my financial realisation journey. From then on, I started to read a lot of resources on managing money, investments and a lot other inspiring stories and tips on moderation and minimalism.

I didn't know (or maybe I did, but wasn't aware) that consumerism is a threat, a herd threat to be specific. But that's just how the retail business grew: herd marketing. One instafigure bought a shawl, uploaded on her instagram with quirky poses complete with witty/religious quotes. Followers like and tag their friends. Or screenshot to sister and ask if she wants to share postage cost (sounds so familiar 😌) The next thing we know, everyone in town has the same piece. 

While discounts and promotions and sales and all those 1+1s are just so...........hard... to not see, finally at one point I decided to live within below my means, and stay moderate when it comes to spending $. I finally understand what my husband has been talking about and now I bet he'd gladly tell me off his "I told you so" (though in reality he wasn't really helping).

I managed to unfollow all instashops existed in my following list knowing that I wouldn't be able to buy anything (not from Korea obviously) anyway (thank god for this one). This made me realize how much I was "hooked up" to the latest fashion trends (or how they always sugarcoat as "muslimah fashion") and those evergrowing instashops/online brands that I unknowingly spent uncountable hours looking at (not to mention moneywise..gulp). 

Even though I wouldn't say I am a fashionable person (try see me in person, I am just a decent person, nothing on face, trying to look okay and comfortable but usually turn out bland) I loathe myself for the fact that all those resources (i.e. money, time) spent on instashops are so not worthy of my life. I didn't appear as good as those instagram models anyway, but wasted money pulak some more.

Don't mind me when I mention the fact that while we keep on buying new pieces, at the end of the day we are always left with no choice tudung/baju, and always found ourselves staring blank to our wardrobe not knowing what to wear only to finally wear the same ones over and over again. Such paradox😛  (ok maybe its just me. (And my sister)). I remember the daily mantra where we (me and Alak) keep asking ourselves back when we were single and lived in pama's house (I missssss living in pama's house😭): "KJPE" 😂 ... while staring at the wardrobe. And how makjah would always receive parcels later that evening and said, beli apa lagi tuuu😅   (I miss those moments😭  and makjah of course!!).

Come raya, I was just so thankful my instagram feeds were not flooded with overdone makeup models with raya attires anymore. I felt so liberated that I didn't fall into the latest fashion trends, be it muslimah/non muslimah fashion, though undeniably I also want to look dashingly good so worth for social media photos, ones I could actually caption "finally some decent raya photos" while purposely not looking at camera (of course my baju raya should be framed full) as I would be busy entertaining kids .... OR something along that line.

NOT that I despise people with style, I do admire them actually. I just hated it that I used to spend countless hours on something I am not really good at....😣 but now I am grateful that that was something I'm not good at.

Can't believe how much peace one could attain from purging unnecessary instashops off instagram. It really made a difference.

If there is one thing to worry about this evergrowing hijab trend, apart from promoting unbridled consumerism, it is that it slowly turns into everything it stands against. May we be kept safe from turning into all that against the syariah. Because ultimately, it is Allah that we want to please, not others. And life is too short for that.

Apart from social media, there were other areas of our lives that I begin to improvise (a bit). I started packing daily lunchbox for my husband so he won't have to spend for lunch meal anymore (except on Fridays). We pack foods anywhere we go, and on long trips, we'd bring along our magical electric pressure cooker (no, not noxxa) and some precooked foods because we decided to not dine/eat out, unless necessary. Boy were we surprised by how much we could save at the end of the month.

In the era of hipster cafes are becoming lifestyles, especially in Korea where coffee shops are not only everywhere (even though the coffees are just like coffees - coming from someone who doesn't even drink coffees) but the interiors are 
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (I hope I'm not exaggerating) (Yes there is such word), the kind of place that one cannot afford not to take photos at. We decided not to fall into the traps, even though it's nice to hang around eating bingsu during the hot days sometimes. Honey breads are awesome but I know now how to make them even better than the ones they make, so more reasons not to go. Husband is an avid coffee person, but the 3-in-1s are just as good even though it's not really brewed..and of course there's a difference. But moderation, remember. Plus there's sugar intake to watch out.

I wonder if this is practical in Malaysia where halal foods are easily available (and even yummier) everywhere and it seems like a norm that people just don't carry/eat homecooked foods anymore.

Our birthdays and special occasions are celebrated at home with homecooked meals, homebaked goods, nothing fancy.

I love this kind of lifestyle. I realize I don't have to prove to other people what I could or could not afford. 

Maybe it is easy to say this from afar, far from Malaysia where I have all the time in the world to stay in the kitchen to whip up something. But once I get back, I hope this won't change. Just hope to have a cosy kitchen to begin with. Haha amin..

P/S: I think this post has been in the draft bin since forever, wonder why I never publish it. So today I'm braving myself to finally click that publish button.

Comments

who else said…
lols! all the best sista...

bkn hari tu imang bli ltd masa sale..
n smalam pasal mudah.my hahahah
ofkos, i pray for nothing but istiqamah for u once u get home here in malaysia hahaha #makewayforpemudiistiqamah


sincerely,
someonewhoisunabletounfollowtheig

p/s: nowadays lazada & shoppee lg tempting dr ig haha (menunjukkan keperluan rumah/ anak2 n that we dont hv to spend so much on tudung/ baju / hijabimuslimah watever but habis duit jugak tp rasa berguna hahaha)

p/p/s: ckp kat hud 3-in-1s is among the high factor ppl got diabetic.. suruh bli kopi 2-in-1 aje minus the sugar
Naaiemah said…
Ltd beli masa sale je cannot tahan lama sgt tak shopping baju msia 😅
Tula house needs mmg sgt perlu la kan I'm talking about unnecessary fashion trends ni ha.
Amin

Ps hud says die tak beli 3in1 dah skrg minum dropping coffee, much better money wise, taste wise n health wise kot sbb tak letak gula

Naaiemah said…
Eh typo. *drip coffee